Available 24/7

What Licenses Do I Need to Open a Marijuana Dispensary in Colorado?


By: Charles Feldmann, Esq.

If you are like many entrepreneurs looking to capitalize on the burgeoning new legal marijuana industry, you may have several questions about how to open a marijuana dispensary. What local and state regulations will you have to comply with? Do you need a business license? Are licensing requirements different for medical and recreational marijuana? In this blog, we provide a basic overview of what you should expect, but please be aware that you should consult with an attorney about the laws and regulations that pertain to your geographic area.


Free initial consultations are available for potential clients: Call (888) 458-0991


Licensing Requirements in Colorado

The type of licensing and documenting that will be required for your marijuana business will depend on both the sort of business you are conducting and its location. For instance, someone who cultivates and markets marijuana to retail sellers will likely have different licensing requirements than someone who operates a medical marijuana dispensary. So, your first priority should be to define your business goals and determine which market you are interested in.

Licenses for both recreational and medical marijuana are available in Colorado. The state requires that any person or location with more than six marijuana plants or two ounces of marijuana product must become a medical marijuana business under the local code. As part of this, the person must maintain a city Medical Marijuana Business license in addition to a state license from the State Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division. Licensure requirements for recreational marijuana are similar to, yet separate from, those for medical marijuana.

Consult with a Marijuana Business Attorney

Many localities have placed restrictions on marijuana businesses, including where they can be located and how large they can be. Because marijuana businesses are still not legal at the federal level, marijuana business owners and prospective owners are strongly advised to enlist the help of an attorney who can ensure that the business does not run afoul of any state laws or local regulations. If you are considering opening up a marijuana business and are seeking legal guidance, contact an attorney at Cantafio & Song PLLC to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Colorado, California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, New York, Connecticut, Tennessee, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

Call (888) 458-0991 to speak with an attorney.

Related Posts
  • What Business Owners and Investors Should Know About Exiting the Cannabis Industry Read More
  • Getting Into the Cannabis Industry: A Primer Read More
  • Anticipating the Inevitable: Preparing for Federal Cannabis Legalization Read More